Monday, November 11, 2013

New Comment Policy

Over the last few days, this site has been receiving a number of comments. Yesterday, I had to take the unusual step of deleting a number of them.

When this blog was resurrected in July, 2012, I made the decision to permit comments, including anonymous ones. (Read what I wrote at that time)

I think it has unfortunately become necessary to frame a new policy for comments on this blog. I am borrowing from the guidelines on a number of other Christian blogs I follow. So here goes:
New Comment Policy

Comment Policy on the Countertrend Blog

It has now become easy to comment on this blog. Anybody can comment. For the moment, I have continued to permit anonymous comments, and the use of pseudonyms. I have removed the 'Word verification' step that used to be required. It is easier, in a way, to make a comment on this blog than ever before.

Commenting being so easy, it is easy to get a comment published that you might regret having said later.

May I therefore suggest the following guidelines that I try to follow myself:

1. I recommend that you use your own name when commenting, especially because I feel that when we take ownership and responsibility for what we post, it helps to keep discussions civil and constructive.

2. I suggest comment-ers follow the Golden Rule for commenting on the Internet: Never publish something on the Internet that you would not ever say to the author of the blogpost face-to-face.

3. Feel free to disagree with me, and to question what I am writing. Those who know me well, know that I relish a great debate and discussion.

Do so, however, in a respectful manner as you would if we were to talk face-to-face. If you want to criticize, do so in a constructive manner, suggesting how things may be said better.

4. I will, however, continue to reserve my right (as administrator of this blog) to delete or moderate some posts. I will continue to delete comments that are snide, rude, uncivil and boorish. The same goes for off-the-topic rants and trolling. I will continue to delete spam and other offensive links.

I would like this blog to be a place where we might be able to discuss issues in a reasonable and cool-headed manner, without the heat and discourteous incivility that seems to mark so much of our public dialogue these days.

Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person. (Colossians 4:6)


No comments:

Post a Comment